Monday, June 25, 2012

Ragnar 2012, Team Sweaty or Not

Year two of Ragnar? Done and done.

This year was a little different all together. Last year I felt prepped and prepared, I was scared to death for the unknown (I had dreams of me being trampled out there) and it was a brand new experience for me.

2012 has definitely been an awesome year for me, but it has been an extremely one too, mainly because of work. I went from driving ten minutes to work to driving an hour to and from work (rush hour traffic both ways). I never realized how exhausting commuting could be. With that being said, I felt like Ragnar training didn't get my full attention this year.

Just weeks before the race, I begged to get out of it for fear of not being ready. However, my family wouldn't budge. Which I'm glad now (wasn't thrilled at the time). Although I wasn't ready, I still ran it and did better than I expected to! Maybe I wasn't running eight minute miles but hey, I finished and thats all that matters.
{Van #2}
Leg #1
4.0 miles

I knew I could easily get through this. Flat and it was a support leg (my van could give me water). However, it was around 1pm the sun was beating down and I was roasting! Thank goodness for our spray bottle and the local neighbors for hosing us down.

{Exchange numero dos at Snow Basin}
Leg #2
7.5 miles

Holy moly, 7.5 miles? Yeah, I did that. Since it was dark, each runner has to have a reflective vest and head lamp. With my head lamp guiding the way, I thought "I got this." But once I realized it was on a gravel trail I about died. Not only was it the longest distance I've ever run at one time, it was the hardest run I've ever done period (not to mention boring and a non-support leg). Oh, and it smelt like horse crap the entire way. On the positive side, I saw the sun rise over the beautiful Utah mountains. When I went to hand my sister Lindsey the wrist band, I was probably cursing under my breath and she could tell I was more ticked off, than relieved to be finished. It was hilarious. 
{^ what was going through my mind before my last leg ^}
Leg #3
7.5 miles

By this point, I felt like I couldn't run anymore. I was tired (no sleep) and sore (trail run). BUT this leg was straight down hill (literally). I'm convinced this was the prettiest leg on the entire course. It ran through Deer Valley and down into Park City. Mountains surrounding, Hundreds of lush Pine trees everywhere, beautiful cabins and resorts. I felt at home. The minute I saw the beloved "One Mile To Go" sign, I booked it. I sprinted the entire mile in. I knew that there was only one leg to go before the finish line (which Scotty, my brother in law ran). That was the most empowering one mile I have ever run.
{Here I come! Ready to hand the bracelet off to Scotty to bring us to the finish line!}

{The team! Minus Aunt Becky and Steve who had to jet to the airport.}

Until next year Ragnar! Next year we are going to spice things up. 
Not only that, Scottie will be home from his mission. Holla!
Oh and we got our Diet Cokes at the finish line. Thanks Betsy!



Happy Running!

6 comments:

  1. Hate to Break it to you but Becky and Steve are both in that picture. ... Way to go! I'm proud of you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Steph ... Steve and Becky ARE in that photo. :) Way to go! You did awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hahahaha! This is what I get for being on overload. *correction: Steve and Becky ARE in the picture.

    Fail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm tired and sore just reading that hahah

    I just agreed to run a 10k and now I'm nervous.... But YOU-GO-GIRL!

    and yea umm 1 hr commutes are NOT ok. I'm like VERY over it. Very

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow girl you are awesome! I am tired just thinking about all of that running!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Pretty sure that Team picture has Steve AND Becky and the only person missing is ME because I was running the last leg of the whole entire race!!!

    ReplyDelete