Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Lessons of a Grown Up

I always hated when people told me that one day I would turn into my parents. What did that even mean? And how was that even possible? I never really bought into that saying and was annoyed when people would even say that. However, this past summer I've seen that saying come to pass.

Each and every year is a learning year for different reasons. I have learned so much about myself in a short six month period (since commuting to work in February). Who knew that such a small change could make a such a big difference?

If I don't leave work by 5pm each day I hit dead stop traffic on my ride home, which makes the commute just shy of an hour. Yesterday happened to be one of those lucky days where I clocked out at 4:59pm. I was thrilled that I wouldn't hit too bad of traffic and would (hopefully) be home by 6pm.

I was exhausted and wanted some sleep (and caffeine-but I'm trying to be better :). I thought, "If I can just make it home, I'll take a quick nap, eat, workout and go to bed."

Somehow one thought led to another and I got thinking about my parents. My dad always left for work around 6:30am and wouldn't get home until 4 or 5pm. Then we'd eat dinner as a family, he'd help bathe us, help with homework, run us to sporting events etc.. or watch a tv show with us (which most of the time he'd end up falling asleep-haha). And then would repeat day in and day out.

I complain about not being able to have a social life after 10pm or not ever having time to catch up on sleep. But I can't even imagine having a family on top of being tired all the time from commuting and working all day.

Thinking about that made me so grateful for my parents and the sacrifices they made for my siblings and I! Now I know why Dad ALWAYS took cat naps. He was exhausted all the time (now he's retired and thats a whole different story). Turns out all those people were right and that I am slowly turning into my parents (who knew?). 

{Family minus one BIL}

Moral of the story? 

Cat naps are needed for sanity and survival #fact 
And all those people proved me wrong, dang it.
Guess I'm a Johnson through and through!


3 comments:

  1. I seem to think the same way sometimes! I've been having to babysit my cousin more often than I regularly do and I always groan when I remember I have to go over there after work until I start thinking about the fact that my aunt and uncle do it every single day and still have time for a million other things. It's easy to forget until you put it into perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not so bad being a Johnson :) I don't know how mom and dad did it all those years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First, I'm loving your new bloggy! I kept forgetting to add it to my reader. success! And second, oh my, I have become the same way! I don't even commute! It's crazy to even think about how hectic life will get once you throw a family into the mix! Definitely makes you appreciate everything more (:

    ReplyDelete